Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Gasoline, Daffodils, and Surf

Today's meandering took me through Vineyard Haven, along North Road to Menemsha (where I was surprised, but not really, to find a parking lot half-full), then, with a vague idea of visiting Lobsterville Beach, found myself instead pulling in to Squibnocket (I can rarely drive past Squibnocket without turning in; old habits and loves die hard), where the surf was a delightful 3-4' and breaking beautifully off of the muscle bed - my old stomping grounds. Two surfers were out and getting good rides, and a few surfers were in the parking lot in various stages of either getting ready to go in, or finishing up a session. I was tickled by the smiles and waves I got as I drove in - prompted, I'm sure, by the fact that I was driving my van with the surf racks on top. Seeing the waves and the surfers - oh, and it was a beautiful sunny day, too, with very little wind - made me wish two things: one, that I had brought my big camera with my long lenses (I have dedicated myself for the past two months to using the Lumix only, partly to completely and deeply learn the thing, and partly because it's so light and handy and I'm sick of carrying all the heavy stuff); and my second wish was that I had a wet suit and could do a little spring surfing.


gasoline, daffodils, and surf
I've photographed this old gas pump on North Road I don't know how many times - with daffodils, covered with snow, and everything in between. I've never found out what the story is on this defunct side-of-the-road gas pump. Was it a gas station once upon a time? Was it a private pump for a farmer? You can't see the price anymore, but, as I remember, its last sale was at .49/gallon.
gasoline, daffodils, and surf
What is the word for this? Irony? Dichotomy? Incongruity? I'll settle for charming.
gasoline, daffodils, and surf

gasoline, daffodils, and surf
I couldn't resist telling this surfer that I was one of the original surfers here in 1968. I could imagine his thoughts: "Good for you Grandma, get back in your rocking chair."
gasoline, daffodils, and surf

gasoline, daffodils, and surf

gasoline, daffodils, and surf

gasoline, daffodils, and surf

gasoline, daffodils, and surf
(Below) South Road, Chilmark. Many Vineyarders make a point of up-island daffodil tours at this time of year to "see the yellow."
gasoline, daffodils, and surf

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful images - and I bet that surfer appreciated you telling him you are one of the originals and was glad to have met you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, we had a nice chat. I haven't been in the water at this beach for a few years due to my fear of sharks but I have been boogie boarding with my grandkids around the corner at Gay Head. Maybe I'll get back to squibnocket again soon. Be well.

      Delete