Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tom

On Friday, while out and about doing errands, I happened upon my friend and local painter Tom Benedict who graciously allowed me to capture these portraits of him. Tom has been a dedicated bike-only traveler for many years and is a familiar figure around town, often seen with paint brushes and buckets dangling strategically from the back of his bike with classical music streaming from his portable radio. One of Tom's most recent public projects was painting all the lamp posts on Main Street, and a couple of years ago he put a shiny new coat of paint on the cannons and cannonballs in Memorial Park. Tom is also an excellent old-timey style five-string banjo player and has published a collection of banjo tablature, written by hand and illustrated with his own pen and ink drawings.



Tom Benedict, Edgartown painter




Tom Benedict, Edgartown painter

No comments:

Post a Comment