Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

This and That

A few photos - stragglers - left over from the last day of 2011:





Edgartown News, Old Whaling Church, Edgartown Wood Shop, Porch Shadows
Has anyone noticed the brand-spanking-new shutters on our Beautiful Old Church of Whaling Days?




Edgartown News, Old Whaling Church, Edgartown Wood Shop, Porch Shadows
After running a Going Out of Business Sale for at least the past two years, the Wood Shop really meant it this time, and has packed up, bag and baggage, and left us. This was all that was left in the space a couple of weeks ago. In the 1960s, this building housed the First National store, one of four grocery stores on Main Street, downtown, that provided us with our daily bread (Connors' Market, Edgartown Market, and Mercier's Market were the other three). I have it on good authority that the Courtneys are in the process of claiming this space for some type of enterprise, as yet to be determined. Stay tuned.

Edgartown News, Old Whaling Church, Edgartown Wood Shop, Porch Shadows, white brick in Edgartown sidwalk
This lone white brick has been in the sidewalk in front of what is now Past and Presents for as long as I can remember. When the sidewalk was rebuilt, I remember that it was carefully removed from the old sidewalk and inserted into the new one. I have no idea what the history of this brick is. Do any of my gentle readers know the story behind this brick?

Edgartown News, Old Whaling Church, Edgartown Wood Shop, Porch Shadows
A few long January shadows that caught my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment