Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Monday, March 21, 2011

First Day of Spring

Well, I didn't quite find the sea of purple and white I had anticipated finding today in my Main Street yard - maybe crocuses are cyclical, or maybe they bloomed last week while I was gone, or maybe something ate them; I'm seeing nibbles here - nonetheless, I was rather delighted to have blown into town on a first-day-of-spring snow-storm.

If you look closely, you'll see a few flakes on the bloom in the photo. It's not that unusual for it to snow at this time of year around here, actually. Today - March 21 - is the same date that I buried my mother, nineteen years ago, and I remember very distinctly that it snowed on that day, too.







crocii, crocus, my mother, edgartown, alison boylston piazza, spring


Spring Fever                     By Alison Boylston Piazza

Crocuses are blooming, 
Spring is in the air,
So why am I still wearing 
My winter underwear?
In mittens, scarf and jacket,
Woolen cap and socks,
What a way to celebrate
The vernal equinox!

2 comments:

  1. Blessings to your mother, Sara.

    Sara, the biggest blizzards that I remember in my life time, came one after the other on March. 25th and March 27th.
    I believe that was in 1955. We were living out on the Great Plains Farm that winter. I remember that no one could get to us, nor could we get out for a week! hmmmmmmmmm, maybe thats why I hate snow??
    Allouise

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how we remember exact dates of some things. The brain is a truly remarkable piece of equipment. :-)
    Thanks for that.

    I have a newspaper clipping from the Gazette Re my Main Street house being moved from Ocean Heights - by ox cart, in a snow storm, May 27, early 1800's (including a party with food and fiddlers - love it!). There are no records of a snow storm on that date, however, so it's pretty much folk lore at this point. :-)

    ReplyDelete