Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

First-Swim Update



Bend in the Road beach, Edgartown



My friend Liz H., who is too modest to boast of it here, informs me that her first swim was on May 27. That gives me a date to beat for next year. Yes, I'm actually a very competitive person, didn't you know? I'm so competitive, I can't stand traffic being ahead of me on the highway, and I am constantly setting new goals for and competing with myself, even. There's a well known teaching story about the day that the (mythical) town leaders, fearing that competition was causing strife among its residents, decided to banish all competition. As a result, nothing was ever again accomplished in that town; not a building built, or a business begun, or a game played among the children. The lesson of the story, of course, is that competition is part of what motivates us to succeed and even at times surpass ourselves.

Bravo, Liz - and see you at the Bend next May 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment