Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Irises, After the Rain

Irises, offspring from my grandmother's garden, still going strong, ninety years or so later. Some were transplanted to Plantingfield Way (whence they may have come, from my great-grandmother's garden, originally), and some of those were brought back here to Main Street, back to my grandmother's garden (resurrected a few years ago, now my garden) - my childhood home, my present home. The beat goes on.



irises, grandmother's garden, edgartown

irises, grandmother's garden, edgartown
My backyard, from an upstairs window. My grandparents' (Herbert and Mabel Boylston) victory garden was six-times the size of my vegetable garden - encompassing most of the area you see here, extending to the back corner (long before there were trees back there) - and included a plum tree, a pear tree, a cherry tree (I lived in that tree as a kid) blackberry bushes, vegetables, annuals, and perennials - including the ancestors of my irises, along with poppies, Shasta daisies, and bachelor buttons. 
irises, grandmother's garden, edgartown

irises, grandmother's garden, edgartown
My grandmother's Japanese irises. 





No comments:

Post a Comment