Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday Morning Treasures

A quick stretch of the legs - and the mind - after spending most of the past five days with three babies all under the age of three - have loved every minute! not complaining! heaven! - but even grandmas need a break once in a while.

We have enjoyed at least as many days of perfect Vineyard September weather - an annual gift to islanders, I think, for having endured the (at times) oppressing heat, humidity, and crowds of summer, and this morning I found my usual route - down Main Street to the harbor - to be a study of serenity, with a healthy spattering of locals on hand, including fishermen (Mohawk Bolin, Mike Jackson), workers (Dennis Arnold), and wanderers in search of breakfast pastries (Barry Nevin, Marty Nadler).

It's always great to see old friends - and downtown is a little like old home week this time of year with lots of folks resurfacing now that it's safe to leave our houses - and especially great that we all have time to stop and talk to each other.


Edgartown, downtown, Edgartown Harbor, Marty Nadler, Edwina B.


Edgartown, downtown, Edgartown Harbor, Marty Nadler
Edwina B.

Edgartown, downtown, Edgartown Harbor, Marty Nadler, The Edwina B. catboat
Dennis, whose usual gig is South Beach, was helping out at Memorial Wharf this morning.

Edgartown, downtown, Edgartown Harbor, Marty Nadler
A fishy ice sculpture.

Edgartown, downtown, Edgartown Harbor, Marty Nadler
Mohawk, getting ready to head out "beyond cell-phone range" to do a little pleasure fishing, a welcome change from his usual break-neck commercial fishing routine.

Edgartown, downtown, Edgartown Harbor, Marty Nadler
Marty is back, after being off-island for the summer. I've missed Marty, but can you believe this guy has the nerve to flaunt his Circuit Avenue t-shirt on Edgartown's Main Street?

No comments:

Post a Comment