Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

You Say CLEM-a-tis, I say clem-AH-tis

Actually, I prefer CLEM-a-tis, and I've also seen cle-may-tis listed as an acceptable pronunciation. Whatever your preference, it is currently clematis season around here, and having just come in from trimming part of my miles-long hedge (seems that way, anyway), a good part of this chore having included a wrestling match with this pretty-yet-pervasive vine, I do have mixed feelings about the stuff.

But rather than blather on, I will offer a short verse written by my dear mother, as good a summary of clematis as any (and I see by the accent that she penned in above the first syllable in her manuscript - typed on onion skin with her black Royal typewriter - that I must have learned my pronunciation from her).This is one of the shortest of the couple of dozen or so poems my mother wrote, and will surely not be the last we see of her poetry in these pages. The photos were taken today, for the occasion - in between climbing up and down staging and yanking my arm out trying to keep the trimmer going, thanks to a bad mix of gas, methinks.


   Clematis foams over old fences, 
Creeps over crumbling stone walls,
Drifts over everything in its path.
  
Alison Boylston Piazza



I think this clematis vine is the only thing holding my garage up at this point.

2 comments: