Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Eel Pond Treasures

Today I allowed myself to simply wander, something I don't do enough of. Down at Eel Pond Landing I came upon three people: a couple who were engaged in the self-appointed task of collecting cans, bottles, and especially broken glass (as a person who suffered a badly cut foot here while bringing my dinghy out of the water, I totally appreciate and applaud their efforts). I also received a high school science refresher in the form of a local gentleman (who was collecting a seaweed specimen), who reminded me of the order of things: phylum, kingdom, class,genus, family, species (I hope that's right).I was surprised that it was so easy to recite - not too hard if you pay attention to the rhythm and the meanings of the words (or was that kingdom, phylum,class?).







Note: The above blog post was submitted directly from my new smartphone, on location, as a test to see how my Blogger app worked (never in my life did I think I would ever utter the word app.) And it does work, though I'm not too impressed with the quality of the photos.

Anyway, I got some of the biological classification right, too (not bad for 15 minutes later, I'd say (my theory is, if you tell yourself you're at the age of forgetting things, you definitely will start forgetting almost everything. Fight the dominant paradigm! oops, I digress), though it is actually: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. Okay, got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment