Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wintucket Waterworks, from the Archives

So, the day I sent out the Wintucket Station post, I received this message from Janice Belisle: "Sara, I cannot believe this 'god-wink'.....coincidence, etc.  I was just emptying out a huge box this AM....AND I came across old negatives of Gene Belisle's  of the Wintucket pumping station ! ! !   I have not even thought of it in years. AND here is your blog about it."

I now have the negatives (once upon a time, Gene had a darkroom in his Silva Lane home and was very involved with photography), and since I recently got my film scanner up and running, was able to run off a few of these old photos.Thank you, Janice (and Gene).





Wintucket Waterworks, Gene Belisle
This photo explains the round brick foundation in my photo from last week - I only vaguely remembered what was on top of it (file photo, Gene Belisle)





Wintucket Waterworks, Gene Belisle
The pump house, exactly as I remember it (file photo, Gene Belisle).


Wintucket Waterworks, Gene Belisle
The actual waterworks. Magnificent (file photo, Gene Belisle).

No comments:

Post a Comment