Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter Sunrise 2020

It's not uncommon for me to wake up at 2:00 or 3:00 AM and stay awake for awhile, then drift off again for a couple of hours. I don't even bother to call it insomnia - it's just my sleep pattern. And if you go onto Facebook between those hours you'll see plenty of others awake, too.

But today, when I woke up at 3:00 and then found myself still awake at 4:30, and realizing we were heading into a clear dawn, I decided to officially declare myself up for the day, grab a cup of coffee and pack my gear for Easter Sunrise 2020.

After considering various destinations via TPE (The Photographer's Ephemeris), I decided to stick to my tried and true Edgartown Lighthouse.

The morning was perfectly still - not a breath of wind, and I had the place to myself, all except for one other human being who I feared might end up wandering into my shot but who was just taking a walk and headed off down the beach to the left a ways. I was surprised to find myself alone down there. Somehow I thought this would be a hot spot for Easter morning photos.

These photos are a combination of EOS R with the 24-70, Lumix LX100II, and 5DMKII with the 70-200. I was happy with the performances of all of them. The only thing I might have done differently would have been to throw the big Sigma 150-600 into a back pack, but, one: I didn't feel like hiking down to the beach with the extra weight; two: I figured the focal length would be too long for the amount of space I knew I'd be working in - which was mostly true. But yeah, I probably should have packed it. L-a-z-y!


easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,
North Water Street. It would have been just like me to have gotten distracted by this and missed the sunrise, but I managed to take one shot and keep on moving (my destination is not far from here), my eyes on the prize.
easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,
Looking towards Chappaquiddick.
easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,
I figured the sun would be coming up very close to the Cape Pogue gut, and I wasn't too far off. That would have been the case if I had set myself up at the town wharf, I believe.
easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,

easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,
This lucky gull is flying off with its breakfast - most likely a (unlucky) scallop. He will circle around and drop it onto the concrete base surrounding the lighthouse where it will break open and he'll feast on the innards. I wonder what gull was the first to figure out that survival trick.
easter sunrise, edgartown lighthouse,
A glance backwards towards my little town. Happy Easter, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment