Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Perfect Fourth

This year's Independence Day was as fine as any I can remember; maybe even better. Yes, the day was magic - an old fashioned Edgartown  Fourth of July, right out of a Norman Rockwell painting, beginning with the weather, that despite advance doom and gloom reports, turned out to be sunny (remember? weather reports don't apply to Edgartown).

After hanging the decorations (and yes, I managed to hang my vertical flag backwards again), mowing the lawn, and making sure all was in order for the evening, I biked with friends out to the beach - the heat of the day making the water all the more refreshing - where I was hard pressed to drag myself out of the briny deep.

I've begun what I hope will become a yearly tradition: a barbecue on the front lawn along with a live Irish traditional music session on the porch (videos at the end). This brings to full circle a story that was referred to often in my childhood. According to a Vineyard Gazette piece that appeared in a May 1948 issue, my Main Street house was moved from Ocean Heights in 1848, being rolled into town on logs by oxen (picture the house being pulled forward a few feet, with the men then removing the rear-most log and placing it the front row - over and over for three miles down a dirt road). As the story is told, that particular May day culminated with a rare spring snow storm (records of which I've never been able to find), and as was the custom of the day, with a pot-luck feast, replete with fiddlers.

Since I haven't figured out how to barbecue, play my fiddle, and photograph simultaneously, a couple of things suffered - okay, everyone told me that burned hot-dogs taste better, but I think they were just being polite - also, I couldn't wander and take the copious numbers of photographs I usually take during this bonanza of Edgartown faces. I did manage to get a few shots that I like (the complete set: link).



Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
117 Main Street.





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011






Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Dylan Morgan, in step with his grandfather Colonel Fred B. Morgan.




Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
The Colonial Navy Band from Fall River





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Ready for the shower of sweets.
 







Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
The pipers regaled us going into town, as well as on the way back out - a double treat.





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Dylan Morgan





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Skip Tomassian




Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Mike Smith (left).







Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Sheriff Michael McCormack







Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Edgartown's finest - Smith, Rossi, Gazaille, and Searle.





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Porch musicians, Cormac and Bob.





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
David





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Levi, Cormac, and Bob.





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
Levi and Cormac





Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
David, Levi, Cormac, and Bob.




Edgartown Fourth of July, 2011
                                                              Susie and David








Fourth of July Porch Session from Sara Piazza on Vimeo.
Footage from our inaugural Alison Boylston Piazza House/Midnight Mermaid porch session, July 4, 2011. Great tunes, great friends, great craic!


Fourth of July Porch Session 2 from Sara Piazza on Vimeo.
The Bucks of Oranmore with Levi, Cormac, Bob, Susie, and David.

This was a great day - from swimming at Bend in the Road, to the parade, the BBQ, and great music - all topped off with spectacular fireworks over Edgartown Harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment