Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Get 'em Before They're Gone...



Edgartown, historical architecture
The Achelis barn, corner of Cooke and School Streets.

While searching for some of Edgartown's older architectural gems and curiosities to photograph this week, I came to the sad realization that there's not much left in town that hasn't been gentrified, upgraded, or just plain torn down (I'm thinking especially of the old barn/garage on Cooke Street that was bulldozed down a few years ago because - oops, the new owners of the property didn't realize that one needs a permit to tear down old buildings. No matter. I'm sure the $10K fine was a drop in the bucket to these folks; the loss of a piece of our town's history on the other hand: immeasurable.).







Edgartown, historical architecture
I've always loved this little building - one reason should be obvious. This little garage sits in the back yard of a downtown Main Street house and is accessed from Pent Lane.




Edgartown, historical architecture
#9 Green Avenue. When I was little girl this was Frank Duart's paint shop, where I spent many a happy hour visiting with Mr. Duart who graciously put up with my (probable) non-stop chatter and questions and who occasionally let me ride on the tail-gait of his blue Chevy Apache, dragging my bare toes in the sand of the dirt road when he drove out to Slough Cove to visit his brother Tony. This little building has been an upholstery shop, a bicycle storage unit, and is currently owned by Jim Joyce. Some of the neighbors think it's an eye-sore; others, myself included, love the place.


Edgartown, historical architecture
Detail of #9 Green Avenue.


Edgartown, historical architecture
Cottage, Collins' Beach.


Edgartown, historical architecture
Katama Road. I have no idea what this is, and I've never seen anyone in it or near it. It appears to be an old sheep pen.




2 comments:

  1. Sara, Where is the "sheep pen" building located?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll die when I tell you because you've passed it a zillion times. Going towards South Beach, it's on the left, across from the little farm stand. Oops, now I see that Pease's Point Way ends at Clevelandtown Road. Okay, that place is on Katama Road. Sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete