Welcome. Edgartown News was born from the simple fact that I have ink and Dektol in my veins and I need to write and photograph more than I need air or food, and from my love for this little town where I grew up and raised my family, the town I have left a few times but can't quite shake for good. Here you will find the wanderings and musings, photographs and commentary; the people, places, and happenings - past and present - of a small island town: my home town.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Edgartown Hardware, Redux

New Edgartown Hardware

I was glad to have an opportunity to stop in at Edgartown Hardware's new headquarters yesterday, out at the former Old Colony building on the West Tisbury Road, in case you haven't heard.

My first reaction? It smells brand new, like a new car, fresh off the lot.

The new store is nothing if not spacious, with long, wide aisles and lots of room for more of everything; more paint, more paint brushes; more drawers of screws, more tools; a better-than-ever garden department, and new stuff, too, including a new line of bathroom accoutrements, and an entire room dedicated to color and design, and another large room that will feature seasonal products. The store's manager, Jonathan Polleys, is also thrilled that, among the many other improvements, everything is within easy reach, which means no more using long poles to grab items from high places. Amenities also include plenty of parking and complimentary coffee.

It will take some getting used to - the intimacy and history of the Main Street store are noticeably missing, and it does feel a bit like being in California in there - but John and Pat Montes have done a splendid job with their new store (and with breathing new life into an old building). Congratulations, John and Pat, and best wishes for every success.






New Edgartown Hardware
Co-owner John Montes and manager, Jon Polleys.








New Edgartown Hardware
More drawers of screws, nuts, bolts, and washers than ever.


New Edgartown Hardware
I love tools.


New Edgartown Hardware



New Edgartown Hardware
The new color design center.


New Edgartown Hardware
A little old with the new.

New Edgartown Hardware
I can just imagine Mae Wannamaker behind this big, new counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment